Saturday, August 11, 2012

He

He was barely 10 years old. He had dirty ragged clothes on. He was pulling behind himself a handcart full of recyclable garbage. He would stop in front of each garbage can in the street. He had to climb the large cans so that he could see the inside. Then he would search for useful things, grab some plastic bottles or containers, throw them on the cart and go on to the next can.

I went to the grocery store, right in front of the garbage can he was searching. I bought bananas and squashes. I couldn't stop thinking about him. I got out of the store and walked to him. "hey!... how are you doin'?" I said. He raised his head and and looked at me with a smile. It was a true smile. He was so child. There was no trace of the violence of the work he was doing in his face. I gave a banana to him: "here... take it." "Thanks." he said politely.

But what will he be like when he grew up? I know a banana will do no "Serious" good to him, but I hope I could give him the feeling that he is not that lonely, and that there are people in the world that think and care about him and his friends. Because there are many people around the world who care about them, and while many of them do actual Serious help to them, many have no idea how to help them, and can just give bananas and hold hands or maybe shoulders.

The thing is, that whether it is a "Serious" or a "cuddly" help, while helpful, it can't eliminate the problem. It's the society's very foundations that are to blame. It's the way of our thinking and seeing the life that is to blame. We, human beings, are to blame, and it takes time for us to change. Bad for us.

I can only hope his little mind is able to bear the pain that the society is causing to him, and that he won't lose his hope, and his beautiful innocence.


I hoped you liked the banana. I wish I could do more for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment